Fantastic Friday edited- sorry, Google Readers

I'm going to borrow/steal Megan's idea and make a list of things that I am happy about today.

Lila has started to climb on everything. It's a bit scary but exciting at the same time. She was crawling around the kitchen yesterday when I was making her lunch- I turned my back on her for what seemed like 2 seconds and when I turned around she was up on the kitchen table holding my cell phone. For a second I couldn't decide if I should take a picture or tell her no; I decided against the picture.

Lila has started eating with utensils at every meal. It takes more time, and it's very messy, but it's worth it. She loves being able to do it by herself.

Lila's speech is exploding. She is starting to put 3 words together at a time. It's awesome. She tries to imitate everything you say. So watch your language. : )

Lila was approved for the Virginia Medicaid EDCD Waiver. We haven't learned everything there is to learn about the program but so far it's proven to be very helpful. Lila's never had private OT because our insurance rolls PT and OT together. Because she's not walking we felt that we should use all of the sessions for PT. We are so blessed because our therapy center now accepts Medicaid. That means Medicaid is listed as the secondary insurance, picking up co-pays and now, for us, allowing Lila to go to OT. We start next month. Perfect timing. She gets OT at school, but since she didn't qualify for summer school, her therapies will all be covered over the summer at the therapy center, thanks to Medicaid. Thanks, Lord.

It makes me very happy that Lila loves school. She is always very excited to go, and when we turn the corner by the school, she points out the window, kicking her feet, saying "cool, cool".

I had a great home visit this week with Lila's teacher. She was telling me about Lila's interaction with the other kids, learning to take turns and share, saying numbers before the teacher does when they are counting, not wanting to sit in her "adaptive seating" chair because she wants to sit in a regular chair, and a few other exciting things about Lila's progress.

I am so thankful for my family relationships. It is sad to me how many people are estranged from their families or have very strained relationships with their families. We have our bumps, of course, like every family does. I am so thankful for their unconditional love.

Some of the blog posts I've been reading have made me very aware that we are so fortunate to have a great group of friends that have kids with DS. Many people don't even have one other family in their area to spend time with/get support from. We have many, and for that I am thankful. The online community is a beautiful support group as well!

In this crazy economy, I am thankful that my husband has a job and that I have a house to clean. HA!

One last thing. I'm so excited about this coming Mother's Day. All 3 of my kids will be home and that's the best present anyone could ever give me.

Lovin' life~

Linda

4 comments:

  1. Cool post! And all the things about Lila are so exciting. Would you do another video soon? PLEASE??? So I can hear her again. I'm so glad she won't be missing out on her therapies and it won't put a strain on your finances.

    I listened to an article yesterday that was so good. She was talking about how she changed her feeling about cleaning house and now when she cleans she is thankful for each item she dusts, the fact that she has a house, that she is capable of cleaning it and not disabled or sick and so on. It was a great article and goes along with your statement of thanks for having a house to clean. Puts it all in perspective. It's all a mindset and you have such a positive and inspiring mindset. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to be thankful for.

    I love this image:

    "She points out the window, kicking her feet, saying "cool, cool".

    That's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great post and a great reminder that I do have so much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip to visit Beth's blog--you are right!

    Nice to hear that Lila's speech is taking off! And so very wonderful that she's gotten the EDCD waiver! Private OT should work on things that the school OT doesn't (school only focuses on "functionality in the school setting", not on the Entire Lila). Excellent news that you now don't have to make a choice between therapies!

    ReplyDelete