January 2010

January 2010 has been a little crazy so far. Lila went into the hospital on New Year's day, was out of school the entire next week, and went back to school on the 11th.

She was healthy for about 4 days, then started heading downhill again. We paged the doctor on Saturday the 16th- they put her back on a liquid steroid for 3 days.

Tuesday the 19th- back to the doctor. The doctor walked in and, as if on cue, Lila coughed. OH, NO! The doctor said. That's the same cough! This is not good! She told us to continue with the liquid steroid for 2 more days, and added Pulmicort (inhaled steroid) and a bronchodilator, Xopenex, for at least the next month.

She was getting better, then took a turn for the worse last night. She was very restless and her cough was worse. She wasn't the only one. I was up all night coughing, teeth chattering with chills, burning up with fever. My head was pounding and my throat was on fire.

This morning I asked Nick to stay home from work. I knew that there was no way I would be able to take care of Lila today. I could barely walk to the bathroom, which is attached to our bedroom. I slept on and off until 2 pm. At 4 pm I decided to go to the doctor.

I swabbed positive for flu. Ugh. I'm the first case they have seen in over a month. Lucky me. I paged the pediatrician and asked for preventative Tamiflu for Lila. She thought it was a good idea. Hopefully we will be on the mend soon!

Now on to the good news. Results of my biopsy~ benign! Benign, benign, benign! Happy dance for me. Thank you, Lord.

As thankful as I am about my news, my heart is heavy for others. In the past week 3 of my friends didn't get good news for their family members. And then there is my dear friend Sheila's husband, Bruce, who has been battling cancer for a year. Which got me thinking about this poem..........

What cancer cannot do...

Cancer is so limited.

It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot erode faith.
It cannot destroy peace.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot suppress memories.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot erode the spirit.
It cannot conquer the soul.
Hugs~

Linda

3 comments:

  1. Oh I sorry that you and your little one are sick. That doesn't sound like fun at all. I am so happy for you that your test came bad okay. That is awesome news. My mom and dad are both dealing with cancer now and so your poem brings me to tears. I think I may post it. Again so happy for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you're both sick. But doing the happy dance for you and your results!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I commented back when on your FB, but still wanted to say how thrilled I am for you on your negative test results!

    ReplyDelete