So much for pictures and other news

We went to the DSANV Valentine's Dance tonight and had a really nice time. It was good to see our friends and meet some new ones. Lila was dancing around on her knees all night- I'm sure people thought that we were crazy to let her do that as she was getting pretty dirty BUT she doesn't want to be held all the time and she can't walk so..................................... the options are limited. I was following her around taking pictures of her when I realized that the memory chip was not in the camera. Imagine my disappointment. She was so happy, bouncing on her knees, singing, smiling, you get the picture. A couple of our friends took pictures so as soon as I get them, I will post them. All in all, it was a good night.

I will be posting pictures from last week's playdate and sign language class tomorrow.

An update on my sister Brenda- I spoke with my mom today and Brenda is having a pretty difficult time. Her emotions are up and down- which isn't surprising. She had a hysterectomy which threw her into menopause (always a pleasant experience I'm sure) and she can't take hormones- the type of cancer that she has feeds on estrogen. So that option is out. She went into the surgery expecting one outcome and when she woke up she found out that everything had changed. They installed a port in her chest for her to receive chemotherapy. She has three drainage tubes which will come out in about 10 days (I think that's what my mom said). One tube in each of her breasts and another where the lymph node incision is. She will meet with an oncologist next week to discuss what the future holds. I'm not sure how much recovery time she will have before they start chemotherapy. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers- things will get better but it's definitely not an easy road. I wish I could be there to help take care of her- did I mention that I hate being so far away?

A couple of other things going on :

My husband's 80 year old aunt and Godmother fell last Thursday and broke her neck. She is currently under evaluation to determine whether or not she will be able to withstand the corrective surgery. She has osteoporosis so they will have to do bone density testing. She also has high blood pressure; that is also a concern. Tonight she is under the care of the cardiac unit at a hospital in NY to ensure that her heart is strong. It's a hard time for their family so please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Last, but certainly not least, the husband of my former boss passed away last weekend. He was only in his sixties but had a lot of health issues. He died in his sleep and I can't think of a better way to go but I know that her heart must hurt in a way that I cannot comprehend. They were always so good to me- they treated me like I was one of their own. I was a single parent when I worked for her and they looked out for our little family in so many ways. I know how much she must miss him and I wish that there was something that I could do to ease her pain.

This post started out pretty nicely and went then went downhill. Such is life. Hopefully it reminds us to hug the people that we love and live each day to the fullest. There are no guarantees so we have to make every day count.


Linda

6 comments:

  1. Great to see you today! I can't believe you had no memory card! Ahh! LOL.

    Who cares what people think of her hopping around on her knees ... I thought it was adorable! She needs some babylegs!

    I'm sorry you are having to deal with all this other depressing stuff. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I guess it went downhill. But it sure makes me thankful for the good things in my life. We had a great time with our little foursome today and I really enjoyed it but after reading this it made me even more thankful. We never know what the next minute, hour, day or week hold so I'm thankful for today and right now.

    Can't wait to see the pics. I'm so sorry you didn't have your card. I know how frustrating that is cuz you can't get those moments back, but at least you had them and enjoyed them.

    We will add these hurting people to our prayer list. So sad. Seems like there's been more than usual lately, huh? I'm glad God is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the pictures and I am sorry to hear about the less happy situations. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, your daughter is beautiful! Thanks for commenting on my blog today so I could meet your family. :) Hugs, Nicole ~ All4Gals

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see pics from the dance--we're so sad we couldn't make it. And I'm sorry to hear about all the bad news. I hope your husband's aunt's recovery goes well, and that they're able to keep her comfortable. That's really distressing. My thoughts are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just realized that you had said you didn't get any pics from the dance! That's like the time I was in college and went to Skyline Drive with my friends and took tons of photos up close of deer practically eating out of our hands, using my old 35 mm. camera, and discovered when I got home that the film never threaded properly!

    ReplyDelete