Ideas/Advice please

For the past 3 weeks Lila hasn't been able to take a nap after she finished physical therapy. The first week I was extremely frustrated- I thought she was just fighting sleep- which she has an unbelievable ability to do. Last week I started thinking that she might be over-stimulated and this week I'm convinced of it. Today it really seemed like she wanted to go to sleep but she just couldn't. I rocked her for a long time and she was being still. (Normally when she's fighting sleep she moves around and tries to keep herself awake.) At one point she even said, "Me cry." I said "No, Lila, you're ok, you're not going to cry." She kept saying "Me cry" and then finally she said, " It's ok, Lila, it's ok". It's very odd behavior for her. She has never once before said that she was going to cry. After I held her for almost an hour I put her in her crib to see if she would fall asleep on her own. (We normally don't do this because every single time we put her in her crib when she's still awake she gets naked.) Today she laid there for almost 30 minutes, tossing and turning. Then she started crying. By this time it was too late in the day for her to take a nap so I just brought her back downstairs with me. She was Miss Crankypants, of course, because she was so tired.

Anyone have a similar experience? It seems like time takes care of it- her appointment was from 1:00-2:00 and by 4:45 she probably could have gone to sleep but there was no point in that. Any opinions/suggestions are welcome. We can't keep this up. She's the Meltdown Queen from 2:30 until she goes to bed. Dinner is a nightmare because she's practically sleep-eating. The simple answer would be to change Lila's therapy to morning appointments but the wait list at our therapy center was at 65 the last time I checked. Maybe some type of soothing/relaxation techniques? I have e-mailed our OT and am waiting to hear back from her.

Help!

6 comments:

  1. maybe she is starting to transition out of her naps? mayson is three and is not longer taking a nap everyday even though she needs it! we have her therapy in the morning and on those mornings she does nap!!!! Its so frustrating, i know!!! good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it! We've been there too. I get very frustrated because I start predicting the horrible struggle at supper.

    Sometimes a long walk will allow him to drift off. Sleeping briefly in his stroller isn't great - but better than nothing. I wonder what the experts would say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol- so funny you should say that about the walk! I was trying to work out- and the thought crossed my mind- maybe I should just take her for a walk and see if she could fall asleep in the stroller. I didn't do it. I should have. Amy- it's just so odd- on the other days she takes a nap with no problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if you talk to the the therapist about the problem, maybe he/she would be willing to spend the end of the session with some relaxation techniques? It sure is tough to get through an afternoon with a cranky kid who needed a nap! Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am wondering if she is outgrowing her naps. Matty is having similiar behavior. It's such a difficult stage. and certainly makes for cranky afternoon and evenings! Looking forward to being neighbors soon. Matty wants to play with Lila:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely - I have experienced the same thing with Malakai after PT. My OT says it's definitely over-stimulation. Perhaps look at cutting the time down to 30 minutes instead of 1 hr? Otherwise, PT is very important, so I dunno!
    Good luck - but you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete